by Paranoid
Relevant BCN Relevant BCN - Be Creative Now! - Home

If you haven't already come across his tracks or at least heard'em on a dancefloor this last year, you probably haven't been out that much. Addison Groove is the alias of dubstep's mainstay Headhunter, who hasn't lost his affair with jukes but is now turning into a more ghetto tech story and will release an exciting first album through Modeselektor's label 50 Weapons in March. A gifted swimmer in this emerging bass wave of genres, his sets vary from acid basslines, funk and intense breaks, with a bpm that may reach all the way to that of drum and bass. It's been captivating dancefloors from all around the world, and we managed to catch up with him for some questions between his travels to Russia for Christmas and New Year's in the States.
Hallo Anthony, thanks a lot for the time. I know you are in a crazy rush these last 2 years, which were your personal highlights in this period?

This year has been insane, many gigs in many places, Japan, USA, Canada, China, Philippines, Peru, Argentina, Chile, all over Europe and of course the UK, but the one that sticks in my mind is Glastonbury festival. I played the opening dj set of the festival with my good friend MC Koast. We played on Thursday which is usually a day without music, but just one tent was open for the night. So you can imagine.. 180,000 people ready to party. We played after the pop star Ke$ha as the midsummer sun was going down to as many people as I could see, there must have been 15,000 people in front of me.. and the place went wild. Take a look at this movie to see what I mean:

How did you get into music production, you've been to university for a period but you had already been into it before, right?

At the start all I wanted to make was drum n bass, this was back around 2001, I had no idea what I was doing. Messing around with the PC on programs like Fruity Loops and Reason. I never took it too serious until 2005 when Grime caught my ear which led me to producing dubstep. Around that time I really got into Logic audio and making music on Apple macs. I was at university during this studying music tech with some people who later became my good friends like Appleblim, Gatekeeper, Bloodman & Wedge. But the university focused on stuff that was a bit more technical than just making beats, a lot of programming and stuff like that with MAX MSP, which I do find interesting but applying that stuff to the dancefloor is kinda difficult.

What were your hardest things to overcome as an up and coming artist?

The hardest thing for any up and coming artist is to get the sound you really want. In the past I remember making a track and comparing it to an established artist and thinking 'how do they get that sound, how do they get every sound so perfect in the mix?'. I still haven't figured it out fully but I'm closer to how I want my music to be. I feel the answer to this is dedication, years of experimenting and knowing you want better.

Very exciting news about your brand new album on 50 weapons, how was the creation process?

Not really a creation process but it got to about July (2011) and I realized I had something like 10 tracks on my computer that I was doing nothing with. So the most obvious thing to do was an album. The tracks vary from dancefloor to headphone but I hope I've struck the right balance. I'm proud to say the master versions arrived this week and I'm very impressed with the job the mastering engineers (at Calyx, Berlin) have done. All this would not be possible without the support of Modeselektor who have believed in my music and have given me a great label to put my music out on. The 50 weapons label has come from strength to strength over the years and it feels like a perfect place for my sound. The album is due out at the end of March.

Are you used to produce music while touring?

I used to make music while I was on the road but now its a little different. I much prefer to use all my outboard gear when making music. That limits me to making stuff at home but , Ican of course make the odd beat on the road. I just find it hard sometimes when traveling and djing to have the enthusiasm to make music. If you spend each night bashing out your ear drums in clubs you wanna spend the downtime resting your ears.

You've just finished your first tour around latin america, how were those gigs? What did you expected before coming?

Well I never expected them to be as good as they turnt out to be. I had a great reception in every city I touched down in, and look forward to returning in 2012.

Which were the latest tracks or artists that blew your mind?

So hard to say but I'm sent many things all the time. The stuff I love is the things by the usual guys such as Boddika, Orphan 101, Space Dimension Controller, Joy O, Kamikaze Space Program, Dexter, A1 Bassline.. and so many more.

Who or what inspires you?

My machines inspire me as well as crate digging... diggin' out new music and cross breeding it with my own.

Source: Relevant BCN - Be Creative Now! - Addison Groove Interview